Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Book review: Carry on by Rainbow Rowell. SPOILERS!

Carry On

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen. That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right. Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here--it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

So where do I really start with this book? I loved it. I loved the plot, the characters, the way the magic system work in this world and everything. Yes the book had some flaws, I only gave it four stars on Goodreads. This reminded me so much about Harry Potter, in a good way. But the story is still unique and special. I liked Simon and Baz. But unfortunately I felt not as well connected to their love story as the rest of the book. I liked the little we did see. When they had some scenes together in the end of the book, I was all fangirling over them. My problem with it was that they hated each other in a big parts of the book and then BANG, they were in love. Especially from Simon's side. I felt we should have seen more of his feelings for Baz. That it might seemed more real that way. Simon Snow was a funny and interested main character. I loved him from page one. I felt sorry for him a lot of times. The characters themself didn't reminded me about Harry and Draco, but their funny hate-quarrelsome relationship reminded me a lot about them. In a good and funny way. It was funny at first when Simon was so sure Baz came to kill him, because Baz was a vampire. Ha ha.  I felt the secret about whom Lucy and Davi was, did not come as a big shock. Maybe I've read too many books. The whole book felt to me like a contemporary story even though it was supposed to be fantasy. I didn't like Agatha, Simon's ex-girlfriend. She was the only character I felt nothing for. I felt she was thinking more about herself than her friends. When her friends run into danger, she run the other way. Penelope, Simon's bestfriend. I loved her so much. She was funny, sweet and caring. She reminded me little bit about Hermione. I love her even more when she threatened Baz in the end of the book. She was so awesome and great friend in that scene. The plot was a bit slow but great. I loved the ending. And the epilogue. OMG. Like any other Rainbow Rowell book, this book had a perfect ending.

Hope this review was not too messy. Recommend you all to read the book :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment