Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Book review: Stalking jack the ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.


I started this book with no idea what it really was about. I knew Jack the Ripper was in it and someone was stalking him obviously, the title tells us that much. Haha. I love London and specially the 19th century. This book was all I could dream about and so much more.

I love Audrey Rose and Thomas. Their friendship was beautiful written and I love how they tease/flirted with each other. They was so similar to Sherlock and Watson in so many ways. Plus the romance. I love how they got together to solve the biggest mystery of them all.  It was not love at first sight, thank God.  I love when people take time to get to know each other before they talk about love and happily ever after. I quote one of my favorite disney characters of all time: "Wait you got engage to someone you just met that day?" Kristoff reaction in Frozen is my own everytime I read about insta love. So thank you, Kerri.  Thank you for giving me two people sharing feelings for each other without the I love you the first time we met moment. Stalking Jack the Ripper is not a love story. But yes we got some romance. A beautiful, terrifying and scary scene which leading to a sweet and heartwarming kiss for Audrey Rose and Thomas. I love that scene. Yes I thought perhaps Audrey Rose was meeting her death end with the knife of Jack the Ripper but thankfully it was not him. Thomas was so relieved that he decided to kiss the girl in front of him. I always love a good old fashioned: I thought you would die- kiss.

Audrey Rose is a character I really enjoyed reading about. She isn't afraid of being different. Instead of having tea parties and dress fittings like the rest of the woman in the upper class she does what she most desire. With her courage and fearlessness and her interest in forensic medisin, she start solving crime in the streets of London with her new friend Thomas and her uncle in the laboratory.

Then to the bloody part of the book. Yes this is not a book if you don't have stomach for reading about death bodies and gruesome details. I love a good old fashioned crime. Jack the Ripper have always fascinated me. I'm not sure when I first heard about him, but I always loved reading about him and his crimes. He have always interested me because he is still a mystery all these years later.  Who was he really and why did he do it?

Kerri Maniscalco made "Jack" a human being with a soul. I have to admit I love the character before and after the truth came out. He seems like a sweet, handsome and lovely type of guy. I did love him and like Audrey Rose I could not stop loving him even though the true was so sad. I find out quickly who he was and I hoped someone else would jump into the story and take his place. Because why do this to me? I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to hit something.  And then the ending... I didn't expect it at all. Yes I knew back in the days if you kill someone you signed your own death sentence. But I hoped it was a different way out of it for "Jack". I really did. In his eyes he did it all for the right reasons and to save someone else. Why he actually did it make sense in a weird twisted way. That's the hard part about his story. I love it and hate it at the same time. I wish he was a cold hearted killer who did it only because he liked it and wanted to, but the true is an entire different thing.  It made it so much harder to read about.  When you know his fate could only end one way.

I've tried to tell this review without spoilers which is the reason for "Jack" and not the real name of the character. I really recommends to read the book without knowing to much. 5 stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment